Saturday, July 11, 2009

Run with K.I.D.S.

Calories Burned: 400 kcal
Running Time: 35 minutes

That's me - the hunchback with a ponytail. This was minutes before the event started on May 31 at UP Diliman. The category I joined was the 5k run.

UP is a nice place to run, if you can still breathe well enough to enjoy the scenery. The trees along the academic oval form a shadowy canopies that provide a reprieve from the sun. When the race started though, I wasn't really able to enjoy the view because everybody was a running rabbit eager to finish the race; I was a turtle. Within seconds it seemed, I was looking at everybody's backs.

It was my first run. I just wanted to move at a steady pace. But UP's up and down and curving roads wouldn't allow that. I'd go turtle speed up and go human speed down. I really wasn't prepared for hills. When I run on treadmills, the grade is just 0. Too late for regrets.

I finished the 5km in 36 mins. While I was still panting, I got to chat with a lady who was walking around cooling down. She was 50 years old, and she finished her 5k in 28 mins. Wow! She said I could finish under 30 minutes too if I practice.

Hmmm, I have 20 more years to practice. Hehehe.


No comments:

Post a Comment