Sunday, August 16, 2009

Kenny's Urbanite Run

Calories Burned: 669 cal
Running Time: (unofficial) 1:09:56
Distance: 10km

Despite the kit claiming chaos I went through in Urbanite, the race night itself was an excellent experience. On to the route.

Dark Bayani
, Steep Mckinley

Like many runners there, it was my first time to run at night. Finishline tried to help us out by giving glow in the dark bracelets and bibs, but those were useless in traversing that really dark Bayani Road. Better include flashlights in the kit. I kept checking if the runners ahead of me tripped on some stone or crevice. It was better to slow down than be sorry. I instantly feared for the 15km runners who had to go through the whole length of that road.

When we got past the 5km marker back on Lawton Ave, we turned right on Upper Mckinley Road. The bright lights illuminating our every step there was such a huge contrast to Bayani Road. It was like we were in a different city. Mckinley Road was posh and obviously a residence of the wealthy. Average wage earner me could only look and marvel and run. And ran down the hill I did. Then whoa, the U-turn at the end had me run back up the road. That climb up was looong. I might have walked three times just to give my knees a break. I really need to incorporate some hilly runs into my training; and I really need to do something with my income. Hahaha! Running really gives me time to think of all sorts of things.

Participants Galore!

When races are held in the morning, I usually arrive just in time for the start of my event or maybe a couple of minutes earlier for a little warm up. I usually don't see the other runners doing the longer distances. That's why watching the 15km runners start was very exciting. They are the runners I aspire to run with soon, well, maybe later, much later.

Go, go, go 15km runners!

Next up, the 10km runners. I was here, yeah! Find the one with three chins, that's me. Unlike the 15km event which started late, the 10km event started on time. Thank God for that because I wouldn't want to be on the streets with the angry car drivers way past 10pm. Runners finishing before that didn't even get spared the impatient horn blaring on 5th Avenue. Oh well.

the den of the 10km runners

And the ads were not joking when they mentioned that there were a lot of celebrities. Why, I even got a picture of Marc Nelson trying to get my 10k straw! No matter how good looking he is, he won't get that straw necklace.

My glee is just embarrassing. Hihihi!

Race Vitals

Start Time: 10k was on time
Participation:
lots of foreigners (i admit i was counting them), some heavy ladies like me, but mostly they looked fit
Rate:
P600 (pricey for me)
Route:
mostly poorly lit roads, but only Bayani Road was really dark; lots of inclines
Race Packet: glow in the dark bands (divisoria-make), glow in the dark race bibs, timing chip, nice and soft singlet, eat coupon (Urbanite meal), donate coupon
Sponsored Charity: 57-75 and Hands-on-Manila
Loot bag: Coke Zero, Powerade, Trail Mix, Mineral Water (is the loot bag even vital?)

Personal Experience: 8/10. If only claiming my race kit wasn't such a headache. If only I got my singlet with the race kit. If only there wasn't just a single claiming site. FYI Finishline, I registered on time, and please do better next year.

2 comments:

  1. what an experience sis!! i wish i muster up the strength to join a race. :(

    oh and that picture of you with Marc?? priceless... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do that too :) I'll be rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete