Monday, August 3, 2009

Kaya Natin! Takbo Para Sa Pagbabago

Calories Burned: 283 cal
Running Time: 28 mins 30 secs
Distance: 5km

Whoa, this was my fastest run so far. I surprised even myself. Haha! Uhmm, but in this picture, I'm still the last runner. :)

Takbo Para Sa Pagbabago (Run for Change) held at the Ateneo University was offered as a foot race in honor of Cory Aquino's life. Well, at the time the race was announced, Cory was still alive, so it was a sad but meaningful coincidence that the theme of the race was about pagbabago (change) on the day that the nation was celebrating a hero who helped us change the government. Instead of bibs, we had yellow ribbons tied on our wrists (or wherever you want to) with our numbers written on them.

Back to the race. The starting line didn't swell with runners, but those who came did look like they knew the difference between speed and pace. I'm still a bit confused by those two -- I know the spelling's different, uhmm, but I have no clue about what else. Still, because this was just a fun run, there were others who were there just for the pleasure (if you finish) and pain (if you trip) of running.

When the race began, the people ran so fast, I got swept up with them. You see, I normally lag behind, but I thought the guys behind me would have run straight into me if I hadn't moved my feet faster. In 10 seconds, I was panting. Next time, I'll just stay in the middle of the pack, or maybe at the back.

Ateneo was very scenic, very green. My delight at the route allowed me to just simply enjoy the run. The road was soft asphalt but not slippery despite the constant rain before the event. At the end of the race, I found myself hoping that they'd organize more runs in that campus.

So thanks to the Atenean student leaders who through braving the risk of a storm gave us old people a chance to rekindle our hope of changing our country for the better.

Race Vitals

Start Time:
a little earlier than scheduled
Participation: students, student-athletes; many local politicians "running" in 2010 too(?)
Rate: P80 only, totally affordable
Route: relatively flat with a few hills, nice greenery everywhere
Race Packet: silicone wrist band, race number on a yellow ribbon, certificate of participation

Personal Experience
: 10/10 perfect :) i can be easy to please but there was ample water and the organizers paid attention to my questions, the fee was reasonable, the route wonderful, the weather cooperated. Can't ask for more.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there in that race as well! Great to see that another runner blogger was there! Adding you to my blogroll!!! www.wmtan.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for adding me wilson :) wow, i'm reading your blog and you sure do run a lot!

    ReplyDelete