Tuesday, August 11, 2009

POLAR RS200


This is the watch that I use to track the calories I burn during my runs and other fitness activities. It's the Polar RS200. It also comes with a heart rate monitor and a foot pod. I got it through a promo from Fitness First that lets members buy Polar at a 25% discount. The retail was 15k, but I only bought it for P11,625. Nice huh?

Stronger Heart

The heart monitor has turned out to be indispensable for me. Through it, I learned that my heart has become stronger because of all the cardio I've been doing. 4 months ago, running steadily at 8kph on a treadmill would already make my heart beat as high as 165bpm. Now, I can do it with just 155bpm on average. You can just imagine how elated I felt when I realized that I was not only losing weight, but getting stronger as well.

Faster Feet

Getting faster really isn't much of a target for me; however, if I can finish earlier, so much the better! I use the foot pod when I'm not running on the treadmill. It can measure the distance, speed, and pace of runs after it has been calibrated. Right now, I think its measurement is a little bit off. Not the foot pod's fault though, hihihi. I might have calibrated it wrong. For example, according to Milo and some of the runners of the 10k side event at the Milo marathon, the 10k was actually a bit longer. But my polar said it was just 10k. Also, the 5ks that I ran were only read as approximately 4.6km.

Despite my calibration issues, the foot pod allowed me to see that my pace was becoming faster. At the Mizuno run on June 7, my fastest pace was 5:38 mins/km. At the Takbo Para Sa Pagbabago run on August 2, my fastest was 4:45 mins/km.

4 comments:

  1. i also use RS200 for my training. namo-monitor ko ang heart rate ko kasi nagpa-palpitate heart ko pag sobrang pagod. i also use it pag cross training ko like swimming. worth it na rin, kahit walang GPS kasi may footpod naman para ma measure natin ang distance at pace natin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi itsmysocalledlife,

    i haven't palpitated yet (thank God) but maybe it's because i don't really push myself that hard hehehe. pero legitimate concern pala talaga yung heart rate especially for runners. i haven't tried polar yet for swimming so i'll try it too! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found RS200sd selling in ebay for Php11,500. question pls.. kasi i have a small wrist. how big is it? and is the strap adjustable? can u recommend other brands/models na cheaper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the strap has a LOT of holes, so no worries about it not fitting small wrists. the head/face might look big on small wrists, but all decent sports watches need a big display for data. my friend has a super thin wrist but she borrows my polar sometimes to check her heart. i just use it for the function, not as an everyday watch.
    you might wanna check Suunto, the price range is similar. pero kasi 11,500 is already a good price, kahit suunto mahirap makakita ng ganung price.

    ReplyDelete